Thursday, February 2, 2012

New York Show

Broke down and went up to NYC this year for the Vogue Live! Knitting Symposium (or whatever you wish to call it) with Betty. We signed up for several classes and one lecture and were very excited about it. For a nice change, we rode the train there and back for $49 each way. It was more comfortable and took less time than the bus.

We found an all-night deli right across the street from the hotel, which saved us TONS of money in food! The Hilton was such a rip-off! We also got a great deal with the use of the gym. We saw that we had to buy a pass if we wanted to be able to go at any time we wanted without having to be forced going only during their official open hours. When we checked in, we were told that if we did not have maid service for one day, we could get the gym pass for free! Really? I don't have to have my bed made by someone else if I can get a free pass to the gym for 2 days. It worked out great! I ended up going really early because our days were filled with classes, lectures AND a trip to Mood Fabrics. By early, I mean 5:00 a.m.!

My first class in duplicate stitch was interesting, but the instructor was young, and I believe her first class teaching. I was confused, dazed and in the remedial group of the class. I never got the hang of it, so unless I take another class locally, that will probably be the end of my duplicate stitch career.

My second class was gloves; I can make mittens, but doing the fingers really was frightening! All I really needed was to be able to see how to do the fingers in person and make a stab at it. I had great success with this class. Picking up stitches and knitting the fingers was not as horrible as I thought it would be. However, I have to many other projects (still), that knitting gloves will be put on the back burner.

Mood Fabrics was daunting and overwhelming! Rolls and rolls of fabric everywhere! Because of the way the fabrics are on the rolls, it takes quite a bit of time to go through them to find exactly what one is looking for. (Don't know how they do it on PR with only 30 minutes!)

Found two pieces of fabric: one was a heavier tweedy looking fabric to make a coat; the other was a lighter plaid wool to make a jumper. Of course, I haven't touched that, yet!

Knitting Projects: Sweater that I bought wool for at NY; Christmas stockings for four people for next Christmas (if I make it that far); finish sweater that I started before Christmas, which was going to be a present, but I decided against it; that is why I'm knitting another sweater now with NY wool; and finish off a sweater I started even longer ago. The sweater is done; I'm working on a lining of sorts that I have to sew in underneath the lace part of the sweater. I'm so close to being done, but "start-itis" got to me and now I've almost finished the, what I call the NY sweater. One sleeve to finish, block the pieces, put together, then knit a collar onto it.

Riding still, even in this cold weather, but need to keep up my riding skills (such as they are) so I don't lose any new level I've finally reached. Bella and I are planning to bring back her Celtic Musical Freestyle that Cassidy choreographed with moves from training level tests. It will be an experience for me to get coordinated with the moves and music. Another challenge.

No comments:

Post a Comment