Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Learning More and More

Since moving to Waredaca in May, I have learned so much it is scary!  Scary good!  I have a new instructor who has helped me start from the basics on Smash (Smash is a very big horse and I have issues with feeling I might fall off!).  Fortunately, Steph has taken me "by the hand" and has gotten me more balanced.

Update:  September 2012

August 15 Waredaca Evening Schooling Show:  I signed up to ride USDF Intro B test; Sara signed up to do two rounds of jumping:  one at 2'3" and another at 2'6" (I think, anyway).  Fortunately, we were scheduled to ride at better times than the show in July. 

COMMENTS ON JULY 15 SHOW:

Sara was given 5:00 riding times, and of course, things were delayed, but she finished before my ride time. Smash had a short break, and then we tacked her up again, hoping that I would be able to ride somewhat on time! NOT A CHANCE! The judge was late getting there, but then she took more than the allotted 15 minutes with each rider, so the ride times were pushed back further and further. By the time I rode (30 minutes later than scheduled) I was fried, Smash had had enough and wanted to go back to her friends in the field. We made it through the test, it was not too pretty, but I did get some good feedback from the judge.

Back to August 15:  This time I was scheduled to ride at 3:30 and Sara was scheduled to ride at 5:00 or so.  Worked out so much better.   I was the first rider in the ring with the judge, Peggy.  I rode the test, and it was much better than the ride in July.  My scores were better, but I still needed work on my circles to make them more round and not so much rectangles.  My freewalk was ok, but I didn't release the reins down to the buckle (I'm still have issues with Smash wanting to trot when I pick up the reins, so I didn't release the reins as I should have); Smash did try to trot, but I caught her before she could really take a step.  Yay, me!  After the test Peggy showed me how I needed to make better circles and then she asked me to re-do the test, and she would take me step-by-step through it.  Wow!  That was great!  How can you go wrong when being told exactly what to do and when!  Really gave me more of an insight of how to approach the elements of the test.  It was well worth the $25 I spent for that ride.

Sara got to the barn a little later, she walked/ran the course, tacked up Smash (who had a very nice rest eating grass); warmed up, went into the ring and had two wonderful rounds of jumping.  Sara said she felt very confident for the show that was coming up on that Saturday, August 18.  Sidebar:  Sara had a great dressage score at the show, knocked down one rail in stadium jumping, but was detached from Smash going over the produce stand jump - her arch nemisis! 

I have signed up for a dressage show on Septemer 23 at By Chance Farm with the PVDA.  This time Sara and Nick have found a perfect way to get Smash on the trailer.  Can you say, Lunge whip?

More practice with Smash, learning to use my core more efficiently, keeping contact with the reins, but not too much (I had been having a death grip on the reins, but no more!), using my leg and my seat to help maneuver her around.  Quite frankly, I have learned more about riding in 4 months than I did in the 10 years with another instructor.  I had my qualms about riding Smash, but with the consistent lessons with Steph, I am feeling more than confident riding Smash now.  I figure if I can ride Smash, anyone can!  Even as chicken as I was when I first started to ride her. 

KNITTING:  I have completed the Christmas stockings that I knit for Sara and Nick (Sara's fiance).  I don't have any pics, but hopefully I can get one or two soon.  Both are the Victorian Christmas Stocking by Donna Kay; You can see what it looks like here:  Victorian Fair Isle Christmas Stocking.  Sara's stocking is a deep purple, and Nick's stocking is a woodsy, earthy color.  To embellish it I cross-stitched their names on linen cloth, put a small border on them, and stitched the names on the  white area of the stocking between the heel and toe.  This was Plan B.  Plan A didn't work, so it's always to have something else to fall back on.  As we know, there are 26 letters in the alphabet, so if  Plan A doesn't work, there are 25 more letters to use.  LOL.

Knitting a lace, short-sleeved pullover for myself:  Lace Turtle Neck.     Still working on the back of the pullover since I've been in a mad dash to finish the above-mentioned Christmas stockings.   

CROSS STITCH:  Haven't done much of this for probably over 20 years, but since I did cross stitch Sara's and Nick's names, and cross-stitched something for a pair of socks for Sara, the cross-stitch bug has bitten me.  Found a cross-stitch pattern which is the State of Maryland.  Here is a picture of the pattern:  State of Maryland.  Not sure what I will do with it once it's done; still thinking on it.

 Phew!  Guess I had a lot to say.  May be more, but for right now this is it! 

9/6/12 MORE:  Sara went and had a pre-wedding hair and make-up session a few weeks ago.  I almost didn't recognize her!  The hair is really nice and the make-up really brings out her features.  Pics: 



 





No comments:

Post a Comment