Monday, August 8, 2011

Big Event on Sunday

Yesterday, Sara and I were given different horses to ride. The reason? Sara is planning on riding Smash in a September eventing show; I wanted to then ride Smash in two dressage tests only. I had ridden Smash a few times, the first time being a total disaster. She totally shut down on me, and that, people, was the end of the lesson. The next time I rode her, it was only for about 2 minutes after our lesson. Sara wanted me to feel the power of the horse, and power there is. So, yesterday, I rode Smash the entire lesson, and Sara rode Cathy's horse, Rizzo. Sara had never ridden Rizzo before, nor had anyone except for Cathy. It is her horse, you know.

So, we start the lesson with the normal walk, then trot. I worked on not falling off, learning a new rhythm for posting since Smash's stride is so much bigger than Bella's. Getting that perfected took about the entire lesson. Sara spent her lesson figuring out Rizzo and how her brain worked. A feat, for sure. Then, Cathy says to canter. What? On this huge horse with a huge stride? Are you nuts? I had earlier told Sara I wasn't sure if I wanted to canter with Smash. But, I sucked it up and did it anyway. That horse has a great canter! Very smooth and not as chunky as Bella's.

We both had an exciting and interesting lesson; we both learned how to ride completely different horses than we usually ride. Sara has ridden Smash a lot and has done a great deal of training with that horse. She did all the hard work, I got on and rode! I certainly like that arrangement.

So, we have decided that it is very possible for me to ride Smash in two dressage tests after Sara has completed the eventing portion of the show. Of course, we will have to let the farm know that we are riding the same horse so they don't schedule Sara's dressage/jumping/XC jumping at the same time that I want to ride the dressage tests.

Cathy said that if I am going to continue to ride Smash, now I have to learn to jump her. Again, What???? Seriously???? I do know that I am my own worst enemy, and once I get over the jitters, I'm ok.

Sara and Cathy came up with a traininig schedule that Sara would ride Smash next week, I ride Bella (I do have a dressage show coming up); then on alternate weeks, she will ride Rizzo and I will ride Smash.

I'm very excited about this new adventure with Smash. I was almost petrified of her; one; she is very big; two; she is very strong; three; I didn't have confidence in myself to ride (this is a very bad thing to do to oneself). I fooled everyone and rode Smash well.

Onward and upward, apparently.

Feeling better from the cold I had since Wednesday. The last time I exercised was Wednesday morning, when I felt ok enough to run, but I went downhill fast. Stayed home on Thursday, but went back to work on Friday. The only exercise I have done is the riding. Today I have to get back into the swing of things. I'll probably do some running/weight work so as not to overdo anything. Sure. That's the ticket.

No comments:

Post a Comment