Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Riding and Updates

We found out that Amy, the owner of Smash, wanted to sell Smash and have Sara 1/2 lease Smash, then sell the horse for a commission. Obviously, that was not a good deal for Sara. Anyway, to make a long story short, Sara outright bought Smash from Amy. Sara is now owner of a Holsteiner Thoroughbred, 17HH, black and full of spunk! Maybe too much spunk, but good.

I had been riding Smash alternating lessons because I wanted to try her out on the Intro Dressage Tests at a show. We went on Sunday to Loch Moy, along with another rider from another barn where Cathy teaches. The bad part is that the timing of the rides could not have been worse: Allison rode at 7:40 a.m., I rode at 7:54 a.m., Sara rode at 10:30 a.m., then 1:22 for her stadium, then 1:30 for her XC jumping, meaning we had to get up before the crack of dawn to get the horses, pick up Allison and get to Loch Moy in time to tack up, warm, and ride. We were all tired even before we rode, but we muddled through it all.

For having ridden Smash only about 3 times, my scores weren't too bad. My first ride was really off, but I came back and rallied to increase my score by 5.6 points. Not bad, I say.



Allison, who rode her horse, did well with 65% on both of her tests. Way to go, Allison.

Sara rode a wonderful dressage test, but we think the judge was a bit harsh on scoring. We noticed that the judge was harsh with everyone. Sara then went clean on the stadium jumping, which really made her happy. After that she decided to excuse herself from the XC because Smash still is not in best cardio shape. But, the decision was a good one, and Sara felt much better about herself and Smash.

Today Dave is going to Chincoteague (sp?) with his friend to photograph the wildlife out there. I'm glad he's going because he really needs a break from his parents, who are 93, his mother has a broken hip, has dementia, needs 24-hour care, and his father is on his way to dementia, if he is not there already. Dave will be gone until Friday evening for a much-deserved vacation.

Ran yesterday for the first time since the Friday before the Labor Day Weekend. It was not pretty, but it felt really nice to get outside. Today I'm staying in and doing cardio/running combination of exercises. I believe that tomorrow will be cooler, so I'll see about going outside tomorrow.

In the knitting arena, i'm going back and forth between two projects: one is a sweater I started awhile ago, the other is a new one that I'm making for Sara.

No comments:

Post a Comment