Monday, September 27, 2010

I'm a Trophy Wife!


Well, race day came, and I wasn't really surer what to expect. I did expect to finish, but I still didn't know what to expect with the hills on the course. We all took off, and at the beginning it was touch and go with all the people. My plan was to start slowly, then get to a nice pace and stay there. I felt that I did more running than walking, but the hills really got to me. The start of the race was a slight incline, then a really steep, but short hill. That gave way to a flat stretch, which actually went downhill for awhile. It was not too bad, but there were a lot of small inclines throughout the course. The bad part was that I had to go back UP the really nice downhill at the beginning of the course. I finished and knew that there was no way I would place in the top 3 or top 10 in my age group.

I hung around and waited for Sara and Jodi to finish their 10K! They came around the bend together, Sara slightly ahead of Jodi. Then, I saw Jodi slowly trying to make a move on Sara, and I started screaming, Don't let her pass you! Run, Sara, Run! Sara saw Jodi out of the corner of her eye, took off and beat Jodi by one second! That's all that counts!

Sara's time was 1:02:44. She was hoping to run it in an hour; she wasn't far off, either. She said that she and Jodi will do another 10K in the hopes of getting to or breaking the one hour time. Jodi is a distance runner and has done a marathon; I think she is going to do another one soon. Sara is more of a short-distance runner, so the longer runs are harder for her.

After Sara and Jodi finished we walked around a bit; I got a hamburger at 9:30 a.m.! They smelled really good, and I just had to have one. It did feel as if it were 12:00 by the time I finished the race, so a burger was not a bad choice. Sara and Jodi left before the results of the race were announced. I stuck around because I wanted to see what the times were for the females in my age group.

The announcer finally gets to my age group (ahem, you don't ask a woman her age!) and the third place name was announced; then, the second place winner is being announced, and Lo and behold, I hear a familiar name and it was MY NAME! SECOND PLACE IN MY AGE GROUP! AND I GET A TROPHY!!!! CAN YOU BELIVE IT??? NEITHER CAN I. I was very excited because I thought there was no way in hell I would place that high. I can only think that the other women in my age group had arthritis problems in their knees!!!

I have no idea what the time was for the first-place person because I was still in shock from my name being announced. This year's results are not up yet, so I'll have to go back later and find out the time.

At 12:30 I went to have sushi with a friend of mine; it was nice because I haven't seen her for awhile. Since her daughter went to college this September (first year), she is in the process of selling two of the three horses she owns. Cassidy has been riding for a very long time, but college expenses were much more than Aileen had anticipated. I think they have everything under control now. The good news is they still have Bella (the horse I ride in lessons and shows), who is being half-leased by a woman for her small daughter. Again, fortunately, I'm still able to ride Bella and show her. The young girl is really young and just starting out to ride, so Bella does need more advanced riders (one of them is me! ha ha!) to keep her on her toes.

Sara and I went out for a lesson yesterday, but the weather did not cooperate with us, and it decided to pour when we got there. We ended up grooming the horses and chatting with Cathy. It quit raining at one point, but neither Sara nor I had the initiative to get up and tack up the horses.

Dave and I went to Matthew's Pizza in Baltimore last night for pizza. It's been around since 1943 and is a hole in the wall. Good pizza, parking is diffiult to find, but all in all a nice dinner.

No comments:

Post a Comment