Monday, September 13, 2010

Short Course Event a Success Even Though I Pulled a Bad Judge

Saturday went out to the barn to have a lesson and beautify Bella for Sunday's show. Things went well; still struggling with the left bend, but I think that will always be something I have to work on. I'm just so left-brained.

The big day arrives! Fortunately, being in the lower level class we didn't have to be at the event until later in the day. However, I still had to get to Cathy's fairly early to re-wash Bellas feet. Of course, it rained, and she got muddy. After a second washdown of her feet we got everything loaded into the trailer and off we went. The weather was fairly disgusting as it has been pouring in the morning, but did taper off for a bit. When I left the house to go to Cathy's, it had started to rain, again. At Cathy's it was misting, but getting better.

The closer we got to the event, the better the weather was. It had quit raining and the sun even came out. It ended up being a really nice day - except for the humidity.

I warmed up for dressage, Cathy and I both not wanting to annoy Bella too much, so we did only a few halts. When it came time for me to ride, Bella was very up. I was happy about that. We went into the ring, halted at the X, and Bella was square! No backing up, no trying to go forward. I continued on my test, doing the best I could. It wasn't perfect, but it was a good test. Now, time for the final halt.....Bella was full square, no backing up, no trying to go forward. Just for those halts, it was a good test.

Fortunately for me, I never saw my score until I had finished by XC and was done for the day. When Cathy brought me my test, we were both shocked and dismayed at the score! Cathy had a feeling this particular judge did not judge fairly (?). Not sure if that is the right word, but she trashed me on just about everything I did. My halts were a 5 and a 6. Even Cathy said that they should have been a 7 or even 8! I was almost in tears because I felt so good about that test. Cathy was dismayed, as well, and put it all down to the fact this judge was living in la-la land somewhere.

The judge put down comments like, not rounded on the top. There is no requirement in an Intro A test that there has to be rounding on the top. Even in the higher tests there is no requirement for that, but if the horse gets round, more points for the rider. She told me I had too much right bend. What the Hell does that mean? We have still to figure that one out. My transitions were really good, no aprubtness in them at all. We just have to chalk this down to pulling a bad judge.

My goal is to find out who is judging at the next event at this place. We're pretty sure they already have judges lined up well in advance of the shows. There were no postings of who the judges were going to be, and maybe they do that on purpose. There is already one judge I won't do any tests for. After she yelled at me for 5 minutes after my dressage test, that was the end of that. I don't need to be talked to like a 5-year old.

Didn't do much knitting; only a few rows on my sweater coat.

Alas, back at work.

2 comments:

  1. sorry to hear that about your judge. This sounds so unfair. Can't they be reported or challenged? I hope next times goes better for you♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. Unfortunately, there is no recourse for the outcome of the tests. We did, however, find out who the judge will be at the next show. This one is fair and consistent in her scoring. Maybe we'll go next month so I can redeem myself! ha!

    ReplyDelete