Thursday, April 8, 2010

No Praise for MARC Train

So, yesterday I decided to leave early to catch an earlier (ha!) train to get home and take Romeo outside for a walk. Dave is out of town, so I wanted to get home so the poor puppy wouldn't burst! Here's the story: I leave the office, get to Union Station, the 5:16 train track is not posted; finally posted, but when we get to the train, the doors are all shut, we see no lights on in the cars. The conductors finally open the doors, still no lights. We sit and sit and sit and when the announcement is made (whatever it was), the car I'm in has no loudspeaker capability! Well, that's very smart. So, we sit some more. Finally, I see people leaving the train, but as MARC protocol usually is, the later trains (even if the earlier one is not going anywhere) do not leave until the earlier train does. Duh!!! Makes sense to me. Not.

While sitting on the 5:16, I called Sara and asked her to take Romeo out for a piddle since he's been by himself since 5:00 a.m. Hence, the reason I wanted to leave early!!!

Finally, I got off the train and asked the conduct what was going on. He told me that the Express Train at 5:51 will be leaving on time on Track 15. I'm on Track 7 - far north end. (Those of you who do ride MARC know that far north end means "South Riverdale"). I make the trek practially back into the station, walk fast (no running allowed on the platforms) to the 5:51, which is getting more crowded by the minute. The only saving grace is the 5:51 is an express and the people who get off at Riverdale, College Park and Greenbelt can't take that train.

I get on the train, and lo and behold, car 7793, which has been stiflingly hot for the past month has cool air running! I'm so surprised! I guess they finally listened to other people's emails, too. I told many people to send emails to MARC so they get the message that something is wrong. I must send a strongly worded email to MARC today about yesterday's fisaco, but I digress.

More and more people get on; the train is packed out, but we do leave somewhat on time. As we are chugging along, we get an announcement (the loudspeakers actually work on this car) that there is a switch problem at Riverdale, so we slow down to a crawl and to a stop,the conductor gets off, has to switch manually, then after we pass, switch it back or something equally ridiculous!

We crawl and crawl and crawl some more. As we pass the people at College Park, they look incredulous as we just pass them by. I'm sure that they have no idea what is happening because there is no way to find out unless you happen to have a Blackberry. Which I don't. Finally, after Greenbelt the train picks up speed; we make all the stops, which take much longer because of the large amount of people packed onto the train.

The train pulls into Dorsey at 7:00 p.m. I started my trip home at 4:45 p.m. and I still haven't made it home! I get home, take poor Romeo for a much-needed walk and make dinner for us both. Fortunaly, there was some leftover Chinese chicken and rice from the night before. I did make some eggplant and asparagus and had some sherbet for dessert. By now, it's after 8:00.

That's my wonderful trip home, once again, on the MARC Rail System.

Since I was still suffering from this cold/pollen thing, I fell asleep just as AI came on. Good thing I recorded it! Woke up at 9:30 p.m., went to the bedroom to fix my clothes and took another Benedryl. Right now, I feel ok, but I know I still have the effects of the Benedryl in my system. Once it wears off, we'll see.

Exercise: I did get on the elliptical yesterday for 30 minutes at a very light level. Better than nothing, and I hope it helped move this cold thing out of my system.

If I feel ok, I will go outside and do some running/walking before it starts to rain. Tomorrow I will have to go to the gym before work since I'm going out to lunch with a friend of mine.

Riding: Must send in my application for Legacy Stables HT on the 18th. However, we are going XC Schooling on Sunday at Loch Moy. Have printed out two sets of the documents they want, plus coggins for the horses. This training is getting expensive. Looking at it realistically, though, no training, no improvement. It's only money, right?

Knitting: For some reason these past few days, every knitting project I've touched has turned to crap. I was working on my bulky sweater, was increasing for the button band, it looked like a ruffle instead; tore it out. Started working on a really cute blue/white sweater with "dancing ladies" on it; the pattern is all screwy - will rip that out. So, OK, started working on another pair of mittens (white with the very brightly hand painted sock yarn); had to rip that out; so decided that I should make the same design that I already made (since I kind of know what I'm doing there). Success! I'm on the ribbing and so far, it's looking nice. Whew! About time, already.

No comments:

Post a Comment