Thursday, January 7, 2010

Last night's train ride home was, shall we say, very long??? Train left on time (5:51 p.m.) and we are chugging along until the dreaded loudspeaker comes on. We all know when that happens, it isn't good news. There was a car accident at Sunnyside Avenue (how could that happen? Sunnyside? Shouldn't we be happy on the sunnyside [of the street]) right at the train crossing. Don't know what happened, but the MARC management never tells us the whole story, anyway.

Next announcement: We will be holding at Greenbelt for an undetermined amount of time.

Next announcement: We are going back to Riverdale (the direction from whence we came) and a decision will be made later what to do. This doesn't sound too great to me.

Next announcement: We are holding at Riverdale until the next southbound train passes us because MARC is single-tracking the trains. Meanwhile, we will have to back up even more so the train can cross over. (By this time we could be back at Union Station in D.C.)

Next announcement: We are now leaving Riverdale and will make ALL stops. What? This is an express train. It doesn't make all stops! These people are nuts. We travel to Greenbelt and stop, again.

Next announcement: We are holding at Greenbelt waiting for another train to pass us going south. 10 minutes or so later we finally start moving, again.

Next announcement: Muirkirk.
Next announcement: Laurel.
Next announcement: Savage.
Next announcement: Dorsey! At last! I can get off this bloody train. Got on the train at 5:51 and got off at 7:51. So, does this mean that the longer I'm on the train, the cheaper my fare is? Think about that.

By the time we got home and had dinner ready, it was 8:45! What? It was time for me to go to bed.....

Thursday Morning - Today

Train arrives on time at Dorsey, no problems; arrive Union Station AHEAD OF SCHEDULE. Since the Govt. Contracts group in my office is having its belated holiday luncheon today, I went to the gym this mornng and ran 2.5 miles. I was literally sweating bullets. I felt as if I had chalked up 5 activity points, but it was only 2. 2? Sheesh, but I'll take them.

No comments:

Post a Comment