OK, so Saturday was a total wash out for me (weather wise). Pouring rain, no riding lesson. Even taking Romeo out was a chore; I practically had to push him out the front door and he walked around as if he were on his death bed. Sheesh! Ya know, find a place and go for it!
Did some fiddling around with my sewing and knitting. I really wasn't in the mood to do much of anything. For dinner Dave wanted to go out, but wanted to go somewhere close by. We ended up going to 5 Guys, which is not WW friendly, but I muddled through it. They serve regular hamburgers (2 patties) and little hamburgers (1 pattie). I got the Little Hamburger, then ate 1/2 of the bun only, had a diet Coke and some of Dave's French Fries. I must admit the burger and fries were delicious! But, I held back and did fairly well, considering where we were.
The forecast for Sunday wasn't too great; we thought it would be pouring rain and wouldn't be able to run the St. Patrick's 5K in Baltimore. Fortunately, no rain, but it was very chilly. We picked up Sara, got our numbers, etc., then had to wait around for another 2 hours for the race to start. We drove to the parking garage (had a coupon for $5 parking instead of the usual rip-off rate!), and went to Panera Bread to wait it out. Apparently, everyone else had the same idea; I don't think they've seen that many people at one time in the place.
Sara and I shared a bagel with cream cheese, then started off on our .8 mile trek to the starting line. We didn't really know where it was, but we just followed all the green shirts. What a mass of humanity - 4500 participants (most of them wearing green shirts, green hats, green hair, green stockings, you name it) in this race.
Once the race started, it took us about 3 minutes to get to the official starting line for our chips to be activated. I was able to run for a much longer period of time before I walked, which was at the water station. Kept on going and when I got to the finish line, the clock said 37:something mintues; my own timer was 34:50-something. Anyway, that certainly was the 3 minute difference in the start of the official clock and when I hit the starting line.
Later on I checked the stats from the race which said I had a 12:00 minute mile, but I think that was wrong or I would have had a later race finish. Oh, well, it doesn't really matter. We ran, we finished, we went home and collapsed.
For grins, I went to the Active.com website since I got an email asking for comments. I didn't write any comments, but it was interesting to read that people were complaining about the large crowd (4500 participants, about which they knew) because they could not make or improve their 5K time. Sheesh! This a fun run; it's not an official marathon; it's not even a marathon! It's a run/race to do because it's St. Patrick's Day and people want to have fun. Then I saw someone wants all the slower people to be put in the back of the line-up according to their pace because he couldn't get a good enough run time. Half the people there, I would guess, don't even know what their pace is; they are there for fun. Again, this is a fun thing, people! I'm not going to the back of the crowd just because some ego maniac wants to show off by running a 5K in record time! If this were a national race, money on the line, yadda yadda yadda, then people are asked to go to their place in the line-up according to their pace. Get a grip, people. OK I'm done now.
By the time I got home, I needed something to eat, so I had some noodles with sauce, and I had some cereal for "dessert". Dinner was hamburgers again, but no fries. I had a hamburger and broccoli; a cup of tea for dessert. Doesn't sound like a lot, but it was enough to get me through the evening.
Bedtime came very quickly yesterday and the alarm went off even earlier. That darned "change your clock"!
Got a call from Richard from Johannesburg whom we met last year in South Africa. He and his wife had invited us over this year to go on safari, etc., but we finally found that he is busy for a year with his brother's business. Now, we don't really know what to do with ourselves.
No comments:
Post a Comment